RV generator exhaust
When the weather starts getting colder I like to remind folks about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) gas. Carbon monoxide gas is invisible, odorless, and deadly!
It is produced by the partial combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. This includes gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood, & coal. It is extremely serious when combustion by-products are not vented outside, or when you are exposed to any source of CO gas. Carbon Monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths each year in the United States.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is toxic and can be deadly to both humans and animals. CO poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide gas is inhaled. The severity of the CO poisoning depends on the level of CO gas you are exposed to, and the duration of the exposure. The good news is the threat of CO poisoning can be lessened through awareness and education. Let’s take a look at what we can do to prevent the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
When it comes to RVs and camping carbon monoxide gas usually results from:
- Exhaust leaks from a vehicle engine or a generator.
- Improper use of portable gas powered heaters.
- Someone else’s vehicle or generator when camping in close quarters.
- Malfunctioning or unvented LP gas appliances
It wasn’t until January 1, 2005 that every new RV was required to have a CO detector installed. That means there are literally millions of older RVs out there with no CO detectors. If your RV doesn’t have a carbon monoxide detector you need to purchase a battery operated carbon monoxide detector designed for use in RVs. Test the carbon monoxide detector every time you use the RV, and on battery operated models replace the carbon monoxide detector batteries when you change clocks for daylight savings time.